Friday, November 2, 2007

Garden in late October

Just after the first frost, I decided it was time to pull all of my lettuces. They were holding up quite well, but the weather is supposed to take a colder turn very soon. So on Monday Alli and her friend Tim and I pulled up all the arugula and mustard greens. I picked out the damaged leaves and we made a big salad for all four of us who ate dinner at home that night and still had a ton left over.

So it's been salad week, over here, and the only thing left in my garden is some beets, that feral mint and the decomposing hay mulch. The hay is much larger in quantity than the last time I noted it, because I bought a big bale of it when Alli, Brynne and I went to a farm selling pumpkins (and also cider, cheeses and hay, among other things). You should have seen Alli trying to wrestle that hay into the back of her perennially pristine car trunk. There's no better way to say "I love you."

1 comment:

Smalls said...

I'm trying to convince Eric to get me a proper compost bin for Christmas. If I make awesome compost, I'll trade you for vegetables.