Sunday, August 19, 2007

Beans: out.

I did it. I pulled up my lackluster bean plants. This was not easy for me, because I am new to gardening and get unduly attached to my the little green leafy things that are in my care. But their season was done and the beans and cucumbers were hanging out together and being all contagious (of that god-forsaken powdery mildew. As a matter of fact, if the cucumbers don't buck up really soon, they're coming out too. I picked 6 cucumbers to see if they'd shift their energy back to plant maintenance once the fruit was gone. My hopes are not very high, though.

My plans for the space that was filled with beans and cucumbers entail more of the same from the fall garden, some Swiss Chard (regretfully, I cannot find seeds for this crazy Chard in my neighborhood and time is of the essence, so i shall not order them. Maybe next season) if I can find it, and some herb transplants, hopefully something a little cold tolerant. We still have just over 60 days to the first frost, so there's a number of things I could do. I plan to get BFH to accompany me in making these decisions and getting the necessary items. Even with all my vacillating on decisions and the costs of my ineptitude, this has been a pretty cheap hobby. I appreciate that.

No comments: