Thursday, August 2, 2007

Fast Forward: Seedlings!

After several days of diligent, tired, pre-commute watering, the rows of dirt in our plot turned into rows of dirt with minuscule plants poking out at irregular intervals. After a couple of weeks, these were recognizable as considerable different from one another. The carrots had fluffy, though tiny, sprigs of green all along the length of a few central stems, the beans were wiry stalks with a single flat leaf at the top and the beets were oval shaped leaves, green and purply. Even our mostly buried tomato plants were beginning to look healthy.

As I had been advised, I put the organic fertilizer along the rows, a little distance from the plants (apparently this is called side-dressing). All of this was fascinating and great, but i definitely had the thought, "Man, plants grow SLOWLY."

This, however is not entirely true. The only plants that grow slowly are the ones that you WANT to grow, and that you carefully tend and fret over, and side-dress with organic matter. The other ones, the weeds, grow alarmingly fast. I once watched one grow a million feet tall in half an hour and climbed it and met a giant. But the giant tried to eat me, so I cut it down. True story; Wally Shawn is in a movie about it.

So once the plants matured a little, I could tell what they were from the pictures on the seed packets and I have drawn up a plan that shows the rough layout of my garden. Here it is.





Notice the row with a question mark. I may have planted the peppers there and it just didn't work out for them. Maybe I didn't plant the peppers at all. Who knows? In any case, we have no peppers and a mystery blank row. Well done, Liz, you suck.

Half the plot here is marked as weeds and dirt. That was true until recently. Now it is just dirt, because BFH and i weeded it. It was just as hellish as the first half. I have plans in the works for planting it with cool season vegetables but that's a story for another post.

No comments: